Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Recap Week 16

 The great weather has continued to grace us as we are fast approaching the end of the year, and it was no surprise that we had a good turnout. The back nine was closed for aeration, so the front was played twice, and everything worked out well with porch boss Steve Romano smoothly working everyone in. For such a good night and good course conditions, scores basically, ah ... sucked. There were only six golfers who exceeded quota, and we had 20 golfers who were -3 or worse. Are we getting burntout? (Don't go blaming high quotas or you will get Bino steaming mad.) 

     However, we did have some impressive exceptions to the suck rule: Featured golfer of the night was Steve Peterson who had an outstanding 37, worth 18 points for a +5 and the Individual prize. Nice to see both Blake Willard and Bino make it onto the money board for the first time by grinding to Team honors at +3. 

     The door was wide open on Hole 2 for Closest to Pin, so Steve DaSaro said, "If nobody wants it, I'll take it," and will be rewarded with $20 for his approach to 15 feet. 

      Unlike recent weeks, the birdie pool wasn't hogged by one guy, as four will share the bounty: Steve Lozzi continues his quiet but impressive season with a bird on 1; Rick Walsh had a fine night and will collect on 4; Steve DaSaro (it was a good night to be a Steve) almost eagled 7 and had a tap in; and Frank LaRosa handled 8 with ease. Covered holes were 3 (Payne, Peterson) and 9 (Walsh, Finn) - Rick had the shortest-lived skin as Ed dropped his in almost before Rick could get his ball out of the hole. 

    In the new technology department: Mike Kelly wants it known far and wide that he loves his new Calloway Razr irons, and with his first swing of his 7 iron put it on the first green from 224 yards out. (Mike, the Biogenesis lab called and said your "prescription" is ready.) 

    And it was nice to speak this week with Peter Jaffe who was wounded in action a few weeks ago. Peter is still recuperating and rehabbing and is hoping to be back in action next year. 

   The NFL season is almost here, but you still have time to get in the exciting Obo elimination pool. For $30 you could be the winner-take-all survivor, and unseat defending champ SIGLer Bob (Chronic) Frick. E-mail Bino if you are interested, and he will send you the invite. Don't be shut out. Here is the link.
http://eastoncc.football.cbssports.com/e?ttag=FFB10_cbsinv

Our Pool password is: golf

     The year-end tourney will be on our dance card real soon, and it looks like there will be a healthy amount of money for greens fee subsidies for non-Easton players, prize money, and a sumptuous banquet. Three players have confirmed that they cannot play, If you can't play, you must let us know in a couple of weeks. Thanks. 

     And finally, as I'm sure you are all aware,on the Chinese calendar this is the Year of the Water Snake; Well,on the SIGL calendar, this is the Year of the Belly Ache, especially when it come to the year-end tourney. Recent requests and complaints include: Can you move the week of the tourney? Can we play Saturday instead of Sunday? Can we play earlier in the day?, Can we play later in the day? I don't want to play with so and so. I want to play with so and so. Can I be in the first group? Can I be in the last group? What are we having for a meal? I don't like the format. Why do I have to play with strangers? Can I invite a guest as a fill-in? Why do I have to pay for the tourney? I didn't like what you wrote in the recap. My quota is too high. I had a bad week, why didn't my quota go down? Will pacifiers be provided for the tourney or should I bring my own? What time should my mother pick me up? Jeez, Louise!

    I know we went co-ed this year, but I didn't realize that we had turned into an all-women's league. Next year, please make checks payable to S.I.S.C.: Stoughton Industrial Sewing Circle. 

   (Okay, now for all you newly-offended readers; lighten up - I'm only kidding, sort of.) 

    See you next Tuesday.

No comments: