Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Recap Semi-Finals

The first match was Murphy and MacNeil going against Peters and Bamford. It was an uphill climb from the start for Murphy/MacNeil. They dropped the 1st and 3rd holes and needing to make something happen on 6 and Bamford getting a stroke a par was a must, but neither could sink a putt on this tricky front pin location, letting Bamford's bogie/par win the hole to go 3 up with 3 to go. Murphy was wishing his partner didn't show again, so he could take advantage of the 2 shot rule, but Peters par/birdie on 7 closed the door and the Hurricane that was once brewing has now passed to send Peters and Bamford on to the finals.

The second match had the fiercesome duo of Finn/Larosa up against Bino/TJ. I was getting an embarrassing amount of shots, but my play this year justified it. My feng-shui was all out of whack and somehow had to regain my mojo. The first hole started with a par/birdie for myself and feeling good getting another shot on 2 put my third shot in the kitty litter to the right. I had to relie on my partner to sink a testy par putt and he did. A par on 3 by Larosa and a birdie on 4 by Finn left us quickly 1 down. It was time to make something happen and take advantage of the next 3 stroke holes and that I did going par,par,par. 1 up going to the 7th hole, Larosa was down the middle and Finn's drive landed in the hazard while myself and TJ were both lying 0 in the fairway. Larosa puts his shot on the green but past the hole and here's where Finn hits the shot of the day, needing to drop a ball with a penalty stroke, hits his 3rd shot to within 8' from the hole. I chip to about 6', Finn sinks the putt for an improbable par and now needing to sink my 6 footer I consult with TJ to make sure I'm reading the putt right. I make it to stay 1 up with 2 to go. Larosa's second shot on 8 is about 5' left of the cup, but his putt broke to the right and we were off to the last. Finn's drive was 30 yards past the rest of our mere mortals drives and knowing they need birdie hits his 2nd into the trap before the green, Larosa in good position hits what looks like a perfect shot somehow goes over the green. TJ also is over leaving me to put it on the dance floor, and I did leaving myself a 15 footer. I started to breath a sigh of relief when Larosa somehow gets up and down for par. I again refer to TJ for advice on the putt, I sink the birdie putt to end it. Whew!!!!

Elsewhere in the league Halon gets on the money board with a birdie on 3 and now there's only 1 person left not to collect. I'm going to say I had the round of the day collecting in all categories with top indivual, team, closest to the pin and a birdie that held, to move up the money board. Mike McNeice shot and even par 35 on the back to card a 77. A congratulations goes out to Lou Halon for his hole in one last week at Acushnet River.

No comments: